Monday, March 8, 2010

.....More Vintage Fabric House Pillows...

...just a few more applique pillows I've been working on. I've had a million things to do the past few weeks and nothing has made it to my Etsy shop. Hopefully tonight these will be listed.
This smokey gray linen pillow is my favorite. I call it "Starry Night"- inspired by the tiny bits of antique lace "stars". I recently acquired a lot of antique quilt tops in very poor shape- but perfect for cutting up. I use to have a problem with that- cutting up old quilts.....
But the way I see it now I'm giving these fabrics a new life. It always amazes me when working with these quilts that some woman's hands, many, many years ago stitched these fabrics by hand. Was she old or young? Was she happy? Did she have children? a farm? a job?
Sometimes I make up a story about her- I have several versions. Most of these vintage fabrics are feed sacks, most from the 1940's. So she's making her quilts during the war, waiting for her son to return home safely from overseas. (he does but that's not part of the story!)
Well, I digress. I'll be listing these Vintage Fabric pillows tonight in my Etsy shop. Each one is one-of-a-kind using vintage fabric and lace on linen. More to come!

5 comments:

  1. I just adore this pillows!!!! What a great work you've done! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pillows!! I love these little houses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so fun and cute. I really like the last one with the blue background :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I agree with you about cutting up old quilts - it hurts, but it does give them a new life, even if it's as something different.....

    ReplyDelete